Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Where did the term "under the weather" come from?

I've always wondered that....

Wherever it originated, we have definitely all been through The Crud this week. And yes, I meant to capitalize that. Lily and Kate were both at the doctor's office for bronchitis last week, and the rest of us are toughing it out. I never realized how hard it would be to keep three kids under control with very little voice.

We have Vacation Bible School this week at church, since the local schools are out on fall break, and I am hoping to sound like a normal person by tonight!

2 comments:

תַּמְצִיתִ said...

I hope you are all feeling better soon!
I heard that "under the weather" came from an old sailor phrase for when they were sea sick, they would rest below deck and thus were literally "under" the weather on deck. I looked up on kidshealth.org and they say:
When it's gray and rainy out, does that affect how you feel? This expression comes from the idea that bad weather might hurt a person's health and mood. The saying also may be related to "under the weather bow," the part of a boat that will take the force of rough seas during stormy weather. If you were in that part of the boat, you might get seasick!

Lauren said...

Aha! Thank you, Darya! Things like that fascinate me :0)