Southern Creamed Corn
- 8 ears corn, husked
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- (Kosher) salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- hot sauce (such as Tabasco) to taste
- In a large bowl, cut the tip off cobs. Cut the kernels from cob with a small paring knife. Using the back of the blade, scrape against the cob to press out the milky liquid.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt and pepper, to taste. Combine with corn.
- Add the heavy cream and water. Mix.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat bacon grease (or 2 Tbsp. butter). Add corn mixture and turn heat down to medium-low, stirring until it becomes creamy, about 30 minutes. (NOTE: I used a saucepan for this recipe, and it increased my cooking time to about 35-40 min.)
- Right before serving, add (1 Tbsp.) butter and hot sauce to taste.