Thursday, June 12, 2008

The bestest creamed corn

I found this recipe from Down Home with the Neelys on Food Network. I think they are just too cute, and I love to watch them cook. I made this recipe a little while back, and it was so delicious I had to share it with you. It's definitely not the most healthy, but it's a great standby for all those summer barbecues! I added just a touch of hot sauce because I felt it was missing a little kick. Here's a link to the original recipe.

Southern Creamed Corn

  • 8 ears corn, husked

  • 2 tablespoons sugar

  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

  • (Kosher) salt and freshly ground black pepper

  • 1 cup heavy cream

  • 1/2 cup cold water

  • 2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter

  • 1 tablespoon butter

  • hot sauce (such as Tabasco) to taste

  1. In a large bowl, cut the tip off cobs. Cut the kernels from cob with a small paring knife. Using the back of the blade, scrape against the cob to press out the milky liquid.
  2. Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt and pepper, to taste. Combine with corn.
  3. Add the heavy cream and water. Mix.
  4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat bacon grease (or 2 Tbsp. butter). Add corn mixture and turn heat down to medium-low, stirring until it becomes creamy, about 30 minutes. (NOTE: I used a saucepan for this recipe, and it increased my cooking time to about 35-40 min.)
  5. Right before serving, add (1 Tbsp.) butter and hot sauce to taste.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That sound delicious. I'll have to remember it. Thanks for the new recipe.